Saturday, January 31, 2015

Arrival in San José

I had the beginning to my next post all composed in my head. It would be a funny apology for writing yet another "pre-departure" post. I would talk about all my feelings about leaving and fears and excitement.

But I never quite got there. Mostly because I was in an impressive state of denial. Study abroad had sounded really fun and great until I started getting down to the details. Like how it would involve living in another country for four months, speaking another language, small things like that. So I settled into and thoroughly enjoyed my winter break. My family and I adopted two new fuzzy kittens. I watched TV, read books, and slept in. And shocked myself and my friends with how late I started packing.

It didn't hit me until I looked out the window of the plane on our final descent into San José and saw that the terrain was actually quite hilly, even bordering on mountainous. Which sent me into an utter panic that I had not packed any walking type shoes besides my beloved black converse. I proceeded to picture the conversation with my host family in my head about why I, the stupid American, had not thought to bring such an essential. Halfway through I realized that I had no idea how to say the word "hiking," so I resorted to saying that these were not shoes for walking, but for walking. It went poorly.

Luckily, everything in me calmed down the second I saw a very nice looking women holding a clear sign with my name printed on it, right where she was supposed to be.

I said hello to her and her husband and 10 year old son and we all did a weird handshake/hug/cheek kiss combo. (That would be a helpful thing to include in the arrival materials, btw: cultural customs around greetings.)

But anyway, it went fine. My brain started pulling out Spanish words that I hadn't thought of in years, and I even managed to make them think I was competent when I said "única" instead of "sola." Don't know why that's impressive, but I'll take it.

My stomach can handle rice and beans, they were very happy when I told them I liked their house, they have a cat and he likes me (!!!), I learned that I have a short commute compared to many of the other students, and I did not in fact break their shower door. It's the small things.

Suffice it to say, I survived. I might even continue to do so for another few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment