Wednesday, February 11, 2015

busy Wednesday

Coming home I was all excited to sit down and write about how I'd had such a good afternoon; after my long nap I met lots of ticos (Costa Ricans) my own age and yadda yadda. But then I got home and it dawned on me actually how much homework I have. They didn't think things through very well, in my opinion, and made a bunch of stuff due on the same day.

At Grinnell, study abroad is  regarded as an awesome experience, but generally the academics are not seen as being as strong. Which honestly sounded awesome to me. I was ready to have my brain full of lots of language and people and culture and slightly less homework. But, here I am. Stressed about work. Which I know is natural and that it'll pass and that I should just chill, but that's where I'm at.

The first draft of our proposal for our project is due tomorrow. Part of the reason it's so hard is because there's so much that's still up in the air. I just don't know the answer to a lot of the questions they have for me.

But, it really was a good afternoon. After I got another hour of sleep under my belt, I felt much, much more like a human again. And so the "speed dating" between us, the gringos, and them, the University of Costa Rica students, was actually really fun. The highlight for me was meeting a tico who's going to be in Grinnell next year! We spoke a fun mix of Spanish and English, he taught me some swear words (that I swear I wanted to know not to use, but for my linguistic knowledge), and we exchanged numbers and emails so so we can see each other and hang out again. Friends! I apparently still know how to make them!

And now I must go and re-watch a video about the Red Cross in Costa Rica so that I can present it to my Spanish conversation class tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment