Friday, April 24, 2015

San Ramón Reflections

  • In spite of it all, I got used to kissing people on the cheek.
  • Internet. Yes.
  • I haven’t had the dream yet. You know, the one people talk about, their first dream in the language they’re learning. I’m trying to convince myself that this doesn’t mean I haven’t learned anything. What I do keep doing, however, is imagine myself explaining or asking something in the future and, halfway through picturing the conversation, realizing that I won’t have to say it in Spanish. Because I’ll be in the US. Surrounded by people who speak English. Weird. 
  • I’m going to miss San Ramón, despite it all. Well, I’m going to miss some of the people. The people really do make a place.
  • It's really weird to realize that I'm never going to see these people again. I've never been great at goodbyes.In fact, they're kinda the worst.
  • The highlight of my entire time here so far is still being taught how to intubate by the paramedic at the Red Cross.
  • Gender dynamics and machismo and cultural differences are frustrating and confusing and very hard to navigate.
  • Bureaucracy sucks.
  • I may have implied/stated at some point that Costa Rica is not that hot. I would like to amend that statement. February and even March are quite pleasant. April is apparently the hottest month and ohmygod it is. Sweating when I'm sitting and eating breakfast is a new one for me. Not my favorite. 
  • Four weeks sounds much more manageable than five did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment