Thursday, May 14, 2015

cookies

After taking both my written and oral Spanish final exams yesterday, I had nothing to come into school for today. But someone mentioned baking cookies and suddenly that was my mission. I made a special trip to the store for chocolate chips last night, got my favorite recipe from my mom at home, and made another trip for butter. Got up and came to school today for the sole purpose of baking chocolate chip cookies. 

Borrowed eggs, new kitchen, strange new oven. Two different pans, resulting in very different cooking speeds. One pan that became a large overcooked merged mass. They were far from perfect cookies. 

But they were perfect. I hadn't been in the kitchen to do more than throw some lentils in the slow cooker for months. None of us had had homemade cookies for four months. Baking has long been my safe space, where I feel in control and calm. And to spend time, just talking with the other students, to get to give people cookies, know I'd brought a little bit of happiness to a building that has recently been filled with stress, anger, and discord. All that was a like a little magic. It was just what I needed today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment