Monday, May 11, 2015

weekend

This was the weekend that I decided I needed to get myself out of the house.

On Friday, no school, I slept in. It was heaven. 7:30 is too early! I felt like an adult when I willingly went to a museum, all by myself. I was bored after half an hour, but stayed an hour to see it all and so the guards wouldn't judge me. It was interesting, a good museum, but museums are not for me. I think it's good I didn't study abroad in Europe, as there seems to be quite a lot of old stuff, with history, and museums, there. I wouldn't've done so well with that.

I then thankfully made myself ask for directions so I didn't go walking off in the wrong direction to el mercado central. Souvenir shopping time! I was quite successful, although the only Costa Rica bro tank I could find was unfortunately a men's small with a skull on it. I'll do some doctoring when I get home and it'll work out.

I had fro-yo for the first time in months. It was delicious, eating that while watching tiny humans chasing pigeons around the square.

Saturday I knew I wanted to go do something, but was a little stumped because I'd used up all of my great two ideas on Friday. Luckily, found another student from my program who was sort of in the same boat and we decided to go to a concert together. I hadn't realized that this concert was going to be by children, but I still thoroughly enjoyed myself. It really made me miss being in band, but mostly made me smile, sitting in a theater in Costa Rica that was modeled after one in Paris, with a friend, on a Saturday afternoon, listening to a mix of classical and Star Wars music.

Sunday I went to see The Avengers. I must've gotten a burst of bravery this weekend or something, because I went even my my friend bailed because she was sick. And then I went to a new mall by myself, only panicked a little bit when it was so big I couldn't find the theater, and saw my first ever movie by myself. Costa Rica assigns you seats in the theater, which was a new experience. Very different from US theaters, because it means everyone comes and takes their seat about three minutes before the movie starts.

I enjoyed myself, although it was a little sad not having anyone with me to recap the movie and I had to come home and ask Wikipedia my questions about some of the details that I missed. But I finished off the day with some raspberry gelato, so all was well.

No comments:

Post a Comment