Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Temples

Templing, verb, gerund of to temple, meaning to visit multiple temples in a short period of time, after which they all begin to blur together, also see churching, as in visiting multiple churches, such as in Europe




My parents and I have spent the last few days templing. We drove several hours from our friends’ house to some smaller towns to visit some very old, very famous temples. (One temple was compared to the Parthenon in Athens for its importance, age, and detail.) They are amazing and intricate and filled with tiny features. Hundreds of elephants and pillars and dancing women, none of them exactly the same. One temple dedicated to Shiva, one to Vishnu. The intricacies escaped me, but I do know by heart that god means generator, operator, destroyer.

I have posed for many more photos than I can count, most with children, but some with adults. All are fascinated by my differentness. I definitely stand out, with my blond hair, white skin, height, lacking attempts at matching their clothing, English, etc. The swarms of school children can get quite intense, when every single one wants to shake my hand and ask me my name and how I am. I’ve taken to waving and saying “Hi,” while walking by, but not stopping for too long.



The same holds for the shop owners and people selling guidebooks on the sides of streets. Eye contact is dangerous, as it seems to indicate interest in their wares. So far I’ve gotten only one kurta (a longish shirt that can be worn over jeans or legging or baggy pants) and a miniature carving of Ganesh from outside the second temple.

Taking naps and going slowly has been wonderful. It’s nice to be slightly more removed from the intense activity of the big city. The waiters at our hotel are so patient with us, answering our questions the best they can, and making sure we’re well-stocked with tissues for the upcoming spiciness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment